High school in the media
I’ve always hated how TV shows and movies portray high schools.
Last time I checked, (in my school that is):
- someone who would be stupid enough to be a bully would most likely get his/her ass kicked by everyone else.
- the “popular” kids aren’t stuck up snobby bitches.
- yes, there are cliques, but it’s not as segregated as everyone would like to make it out to be. Everyone mingles with everyone else.
- there is no “punishment” for mingling -_-
- there aren’t any groups who like to think they “run” the school.
- everyone is usually respectful of others.
- people actually cheer for band is actually one of our school’s most prized possession.
- the cheerleaders are not Santana, Britney, Quinn, nor any other cheerleader stereotype.
- etc etc etc you guys know.
If I really had to label myself, I’d say I’m a nerd/prep. Supposedly we’re supposed to be at the bottom of the food chain? Well what food chain? As far as I can see, there is none. I have friends from all parts of the spectrum and I’m not castrated for doing so. As a gay guy, I feel completely safe within my school. But of course, I happen to be in a more liberal school. I used to go to one in Temecula and let me tell you…that bible belt was a pool of judges. Anyway…
It’s just really pissy to see these things in television. It’s like telling the younger kids that’s how they’re supposed to act like.